Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Managing the Office Move

New Responsibility at the Office

When my boss gave me the responsibility of the office move, I admit I was stressed. I moved out of my apartment, and that was a big deal. Now an entire office of 30 people? Where do I begin?

Take a Breath and Get Organized

I had to really take a minute and look at our current office space. It wasn't huge but it was big enough to be a problem if I didn't take time to get organized. The first thing I did was assign roles to other employees, making one person responsible for packing up each department. When I did my homework, I found out that with larger office moves a moving coordinator would be assigned to do basically what I am doing.

Click Here for the Complete Online Moving Guide

What a Moving Coordinator Does


Map Out Your New Location

Here you have to envision the new office space and the old side by side. I made a color coded chart to help define how the different departments would be set up in the new space. I started out making several drafts that all ended up in the wastebasket. Finally, I found a free online template that helped.

Make A Timeline and Stick To It

I created a timeline that was reasonable. The key word there is reasonable. Don't stress everybody out with tight deadlines. Give every one in every department enough time to pack up their individual offices and cubicles, and eventually their whole department will be buttoned up by moving day. At the same time, don't let the timeline become just a frame of reference. Make sure you schedule weekly meetings with your assigned moving team and ensure that everyone has met their weekly goals for getting packed.


More Office Moving Resources

Office Moving Wisdom

"A first-rate organizer is never in a hurry. She is never late. She always keeps up her sleeve a margin for the unexpected.".




No comments:

Post a Comment